Saturday, 13 May 2017

Royal Spoonbill

 Royal Spoonbill (Platalea regia)

This is the Royal spoonbill (Platalea regia). It's an uncommon bird here in Tasmania. There are a couple of spots where, in recent years,  you can generally see them. One such place is at Queechy Lake in Launceston and the other at Port Sorrel. However this was the first I've ever seen one in my local area. This seems to be an immature bird as it lacks the yellow mark above the eye and has a smooth surface to the bill. In the video you can see the way they feed by sweeping their bill side to side in the water looking for aquatic insects, crustaceans, and small fish.


(Click the play button to watch the video)



Thank You!

Since September I've gone from about 12 subscribers on my YouTube channel to over 270. Thank you all very much for your support and encouragement. If you have not yet subscribed please consider doing so, as not all of my videos appear on this blog. If you are logged in with your google account you simply need to use the YouTube/Subscribe button below.



I hope you enjoy the videos.



 Click the button below to subscribe to my YouTube Channel



4 comments:

  1. excellent! I really like the way you show it feeding. I usually see them resting on the bank or else resting in a tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching. I was pretty chuffed to see this bird in a local creek. It's been there for about a week now.

      Delete
  2. Hello, great video of the spoonbill. They are beautiful!
    I am still running a little behind visiting my critter links! Thanks so much for linking up, have a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!:) I thoroughly enjoyed watching the video, and the way the Spoonbills find their food,..also great close up images. Thank you for sharing your unexpected visitor.:)

    ReplyDelete