Saturday, 25 March 2017

Brown Field Slug (Deroceras panormitanum)


I'm fascinated by all aspects of natural history, even slugs. I can understand why this may end up being one of my less viewed videos :-)  One the other hand, some who have already watched the video were surprised to find it more fascinating, and beautiful, than they expected.

I'm pretty sure this is the Brown Field Slug (Deroceras panormitanum) Please feel free to correct me if you happen to be an an expert in malacology. This species is native to Southwest Europe and was first found in Australian in 1975. It reaches up to 30mm in length and is found in gardens, agricultural land, and also extends in to native bushland. These two were marooned on a rock as I was topping up my pond. (Don't worry, I moved the rock to higher ground.)


(Brown Field Slug - (Deroceras panormitanum) - Click the play button )



Thank You!
Since September I've gone from about 12 subscribers on my YouTube channel to over 240. Thank you all very much for your support and encouragement. If you have not yet subscribed please consider doing so, as not all of my videos appear on this blog. If you are logged in with your google account you simply need to use the YouTube/Subscribe button below.

I hope you enjoy the video.


 Click the button below to subscribe to my YouTube Channel

6 comments:

  1. Lovely to watch even the small critters like slugs and how they move. Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching. Yes all life is pretty special. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. Wow, love this video of the slugs. The music is nice too. Great capture!
    Thank you for linking up and saving your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. I would have said Deroceras panormitanum too, but the taxonomy has undergone a bit of a revision recently and a new species, D. invadens, has been split from it. This new one is an invasive tramp species, so it might be that. Here's a link to the paper in which it was described (PDF, about 8Mb), although that could well be TMI! (Deroceras taxonomy is an awful thing and no good will come of it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for that. It's after midnight so my mind is a little SLUGish just now but I'll be sure to have a read if that tomorrow.

      Delete