Saturday, 3 December 2016

Lowland Copperhead Snake and a Waterfall

I came across this Lowland Copperhead snake (Austrelaps superbus) the other day at the Tamar Wetlands in Tasmania.  This is not related to the American snake of similar name. It is a  venomous snake of the Elapidae family that could (and have) kill an adult human. However, they will generally remain non aggressive as long as you don't interfere with them.    They can grow up to 4 1/2 feet. This one was at least 3 1/2 feet (maybe a little longer).  They are generally found in wet areas, creeks, swamps etc,  and feed on frogs, mice, larger insects, lizards etc.  It will even cannibalise smaller copperheads. Aside from Tasmania, they can also be found in other parts of south-eastern Australia.


 ( Copperhead Snake - Click the play button)

We also visited a waterfall recently. Delaney Falls, also known as Preston falls,  are located about 25km's south of Ulverstone in Tasmania. The wide angle lens was back at the car and the GoPro battery was dead so unfortunately I did not get a shot with the entire falls top to bottom. There is always a next time  :-)

  (Preston Falls - Click the play button)

Thank You!
Since September I've gone from about 12 subscribers on my YouTube channel to 123. Thank you all very much for your support and encouragement. If you have not yet subscribed please consider doing so, as not all of my videos appear on this blog. If you are logged in with your google account you simply need to use the Youtube/Subscribe button below.

I hope you enjoy the video.


 Click the button below to subscribe to my YouTube Channel

16 comments:

  1. Great video - the falls are very beautiful and it was interesting to see the volume of water at the top just before it went over. (Sorry I don 't like snakes and can't imagine that I ever will!Stay safe and don't take any liberties near a beastie like that!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mick. I have a healthy respect for snakes. I was on a board walk about 18 inches above it and they are a fairly shy snake.

      Delete
  2. Hello, both are great videos. The snake is cool to see from a distance. The waterfalls is pretty, a lovely spot to relax and listen to the water. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks eileeninmd . The new link up tool seems to work just fine.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful video ~ nature is such a treasure and that snake is beautiful but dangerous ~

    Wishing you a fun weekend ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks carol l mckenna. Glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  4. Mosura, although we are not snake fans enjoyed your video of the Lowland Copperhead snake. We do love visiting waterfalls. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Photodoug. Hope to have more waterfalls soon.

      Delete
  5. I'm not afraid of snakes, but I don't need to get close to a venomous one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al. The beauty of a zoom lens is that I don't need to get close either ☺

      Delete
  6. Nice looking snake! I hope work takes me back to Scotland - and if it does a return trip to Orkney will be very tempting.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart. Hope you get the opportunity. I seriously doubt I'll get back to Scotland in the foreseeable future :-(

      Delete
  7. Amazing videos of the snake and waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rajesh. Glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  8. I like snakes but are very cautios when they are venomous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks NatureFootstep. Don't worry. I was very cautious too :-)

      Delete