Saturday, 17 December 2016

Little Grassbird, a Waterfall, and a Cactus in Bloom

 The Secretive 'Little Grassbird' Revealed

The elusive Little grassbird (Megalurus gramineus) is more often heard than seen. If you do see one, you will usually just see a small brown blur darting across the top of the reed beds. I was happy to get some shots of this one as it foraged out in the open along the edge of the reeds.  This was taken at the Tamar Wetlands near Launceston in Tasmania. I was tempted to put some music on to hide the traffic noises. However if you listen carefully you can just hear the birds repeated,  drawn out, whistling call.


( Little Grassbird - Click the play button)

St Josephs Falls
 
I also visited  St Josephs Falls recently. Here is a small video for your viewing pleasure.

( St. Joseph's Falls - Click the play button)

Cactus in Flower

This is one of the few cacti that seem to thrive outdoors in Tasmania. It takes the full brunt of our winter rains which would cause many species to rot away, We were away for a couple of days and upon returning home it was flowering away in our driveway. The sun was just going down and a I grabbed a few shots. The next day the flowers had shriveled up. There are other buds on it so we have more to look forward to.  I believe this is Echinopsis schickendantzii but feel free to correct me. 



  (Cactus: Echinopsis schickendantzii - Click the play button)

Thank You!
Since September I've gone from about 12 subscribers on my YouTube channel to over 130. Thank you all very much for your support and encouragement. If you have not yet subscribed please consider doing so, as not all of my videos appear on this blog. If you are logged in with your google account you simply need to use the YouTube/Subscribe button below.

I hope you enjoy the video.


 Click the button below to subscribe to my YouTube Channel

5 comments:

  1. Hello, wonderful videos. I like the cute Grassland bird and the scenery. The waterfalls is beautiful and I love the pretty cactus blooms. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy weekend to you! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. All very enjoyable but the Grasssbird is especially good.You were lucky to see it out in the open and to keep it in view for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grassbirds are not easy to get picture of - nice one.

    Hope you have a great Christmas - Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete