Saturday, 12 November 2016

Mountain Dragons ( Rankinia diemensis )

The Mountain Dragons in this video were filmed in my backyard a couple of weeks ago.  Over the years we have created lots of rocky areas in the yard which has greatly increased the lizard population.



Of Tasmania's 17 lizard species this is the only one which is not a skink. It belongs to the family Agamidae and it has the most southerly distribution of all the lizards in this family.

You can get quite close to a Mountain Dragon if you move slowly. If they run they will only go a short distance and then stop again, hoping that you can't see them. It works too as sometimes you can't see them because they blend in so well among leaves and sticks.

They are found in the north and east of Tasmania, in dry forest and heathland as these areas are more open to the sun. Their diet consists of ants and other small invertebrates. They can grow to around 20cm (about 8") including their tail.


I hope you enjoy the video.


Note: Not all of my videos will be on this blog so, if you like them, please consider subscribing to my YouTube channel.
 Click to subscribe to my YouTube Channel

15 comments:

  1. Hello, great video. The Dragon lizard is beautiful. I love all the critters. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. They are one of my favourites.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn Jilks. Yes they're a good looking lizard.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful video,
    I love everything there is to see.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irma for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  4. Great video of the mountain dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I wish I had them in my back yard.
    PW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gouldiae. They're great lizards but I reckon you'd have a much better variety up your way than we do. This is our only non skink :-)

      Delete
  6. We do live in the land of lizards. Had a close encounter with a blue tongue today. Its must be spring!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart. Yes the blue-tongues are everywhere at the moment. Hope to post a video soon.

      Delete
  7. Nice video!

    I learned that trick when I was little: to catch a fast lizard, move very slow.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© . Glad you enjoyed the video.

      Delete
  8. Oh I have never heard of the Mountain Dragon before and how cool it is, thanks for sharing the video clip~

    ReplyDelete