Saturday, 29 October 2016

Lizards at War - White's Skink, Territorial Behaviour

There are several colonies of White's Skink (Egernia whitii) in the backyard and at the moment they are displaying territorial behavior. An old battle scarred specimen known as Stumpy (no tail) seems to be the lizard king.  Some lizards are chased away while in other cases it seems more about establishing the pecking order.  For example the young lizard seen in the video thumbnail below only moved about a metre away and has since crossed paths with stumpy without any altercations.






Note: Not all of my videos will be on this blog so, if you like them, please consider subscribing to my YouTube channel.
 Click to subscribe to my YouTube Channel

6 comments:

  1. Hello, great video on the lizards. I feel sorry for Stumpy, he is my favorite.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your Saturday and the weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching Eileen. I'll pass that on to Stumpy :-)

      Delete
  2. Very interesting post! Who would think of lizards being so territorial. Will Stumpy grow a new tail??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching Jeanne. Skinks generally grow a new tail but older skinks may not.

      Delete
  3. Hello! It's not uncommon to see lizards in combat, hubby and I have seen them fighting several times, but I enjoyed the video. Stumpy's tail should grow again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Breathtaking. I hope he gets a new tail but older skinks do not always grow a new one.

      Delete