Thursday, 21 May 2015

Fungi, Lichens, and Liverworts

... at Fern Glade

I've spent a little time this month perambulating up and down the river bank at Fern Glade. With the cooler weather setting in, and plenty of rain, a variety of fungi has been popping up out of the ground, on rotting logs, and even on an animal carcass. Be aware that I am not an expert on fungi (or on anything else for that matter) so all identifications are tentative.

I'll get the the gruesome one out of the way first. Amidst a pile of bones and decomposing flesh at the side of the track, fungi was quietly working away helping to clean things up. Assuming my ID is correct this is the Ghoul fungus , Hebeloma aminophilum.


Ghoul fungus , Hebeloma aminophilum.


Several logs and stumps have had clumps of the Honey Fungus, Armillaria luteobubalina.


Honey Fungus, Armillaria luteobubalina.

The next one is definitely a new one for me. It’s the Shaggy Top Bolete. It is a beautiful yellow colour underneath.

Shaggy Top Bolete - Boletellus emodensis


I'm not sure what this next one is. Any suggestions?

Unknown

After 9 years of visiting Fern Glade I finally noticed there is another track that follows close to the road between the two reserve entries. It was along here we found a couple of specimens of this fungus with pinky purplish gills.





Next up is what I believe to be Plums and Custard, Tricholomopsis rutilans. This is said to be a 'probable' introduction to Australia and is usually associated with pines. This one was growing at the base of a Eucalypt.  Maybe my ID is wrong but it certainly looks like the one in Fuhrer's guide.


Plums and Custard, Tricholomopsis rutilans

This Earth Ball was growing deep in the shadows below some Tree Ferns.

Earth Ball – Pisolithus sp 

I have know idea on the next two. Any suggestions (or corrections for the above) would be much appreciated.


Unknown - about 25mm across


Unknown - Caps probably about 9mm across

This small one belongs, I think, to the genus Amanita.

Amanita sp

Lichens

In damper spots of the cutting at the side of the track are various mosses and lichens including a couple of examples of  Cladonia spp.

British Soldiers - Cladonia cristatella


Cladonia sp


Liverworts
The liverwort in the next shot was growing like moss over an old tree stump. An attempt at keying it out suggests it may belong to the genus Radula.  The thin stalks with little capsules on them are the sporophytes (or spore capsules). Mature capsules are black.



Liverwort - Radula sp

Liverwort - Radula sp  close up

To give a bit of context,  I'll end with of photo of the Emu River taken yesterday afternoon. It was dull, threatening rain, and very quiet. Fog was starting to form above the surface of the water.


The Emu River at Fern Glade




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful close-up photos. They all looked even better enlarged. Do I assume you were using a flash on most of them? The photo of the river shows a very beautiful habitat - but I would definitely need different gear for walking around in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick - Yes, I used the on board flash with all of them. It's pretty dark under all those trees. I need to invest in a dedicated flash.

      My 'context' photo isn't doing its job. It doesn't show the nice well formed path on the right hand side. Anyhow who needs to walk when you have a kayak.

      Delete
  2. G’day Mosura,
    You did have a great fungi foray. Some wonderful examples – no, I’m certainly not qualified to help with IDs, sorry.
    Brave man – lichens! They’re a complete and utter mystery to me.
    How were the leeches?
    Regards,
    PW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gouldiae - Surprisingly I don't see too many leeches around here and when I do, for some reason, they usually go for my wife.

      Delete