Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Endemic Birds of Tasmania



Of the hundreds of bird species that can be seen in Tasmania, just 12 are endemic to the island. All twelve are shown below. For the sake of completeness, I've included two  photos which  are not my own, shared here thanks to the Creative Commons License. Many birders come down to Tasmania for a whirlwind tour and tick off all twelve endemics in a day or two. Personally, after being here for 9 years, I have only seen 11 and photographed 10.  I'm yet to see the Forty-spotted pardalote which only occurs in some small areas of the south-east and I'm yet to photograph the Strong-billed honeyeater. I'm in no rush. While I enjoy seeing new birds, my main enjoyment comes from observing even the common birds.

Tasmanian native hen      Gallinula mortierii


Green rosella       Platycercus caledonicus  in the backyard





Dusky robin       Melanodryas vittata    in the backyard


Tasmanian thornbill       Acanthiza ewingii     at Narawntapu N.P

Scrubtit       Acanthornis magnus  at Fern Glade, Burnie


Tasmanian Scrubwren       Sericornis humilus    in the backyard
Yellow wattlebird       Anthochaera paradoxa  at Romaine Reserve


Yellow-throated honeyeater       Lichenostomus flavicollis  at Round Hill

Black-headed honeyeater      Melithreptus affinus   in the backyard


Strong-billed Honeyeater    Melithreptus validirostris - Creative Commons - by J J Harrison



Black currawong       Strepera fuliginosa  at Cradle Mountain




Forty-spotted Pardalote - Pardalotus quadragintus - Maria Island - Creative Commons, Photo by Nomdeploom at en.wikipedia



Linking to I'd Rather B Birdin'

5 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Such a super array of bird species. I so enjoyed seeing the different birds you've captured in photo.

    And the 'hen' chicks in the top picture ... adorable.

    Thank you kindly for sharing this link at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome variety of birds and great photos..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos of all the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Anni, Eileeninmd, and Gunilla Bäck. Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great blog and Tassie is such a beautiful state and lovely place. Our tour started out really well organized. I went on the Port Arthur and Tasman Peninsula tour with a stop at the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park.

    ReplyDelete