Tuesday, 13 April 2010

A New Moth for the Backyard

..... Porela albifinis (Walker, 1855)

Well technically I didn't see it in the backyard; I found it in the bathroom as the light had been left on with the window open. It's the first new moth I've seen for a while as I have not been putting the light trap out. Now that I have a camera again I hope to get a few nights of mothing in this side of winter. I just have to wait for the rain and wind to stop. In Tassie that may be considered wishful thinking :-)

The moth is Porela albifinus of the family Lasiocampidae.


(Click to enlarge)
Female White-tailed Porela - Porela albifinis




2 comments:

  1. Thanks Alan, A wonderful site you've built. I was overjoyed to find some more information.
    It was a Noctuid day moth (ironic name) that got me looking this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel - I'm glad you found something of interest here. I wish I had even had your talent in painting and drawing moths.

    ReplyDelete