Wednesday, 17 March 2010

Going Batty

I'm going batty not having my SLR, but at least I managed a couple of shots with my old Canon G3 of this little fellow.

It's the first bat I've seen since coming back to Tasmania. At this stage I have no idea of what species it is but I'll make a guess that it is of the genus Vespadelus. If anyone can enlighten me, please do.

Most references say that the eight species of Tasmanian bats roost in trees and not in caves and buildings. This one however, has been roosting for at least 4 days in the Burnie CBD. Almost everyone is oblivious to it's presence. It has set up camp in a part of a building that might be termed a man made cave. It's quite amazing how it can cling onto the pebblecrete. In the photos below it is clinging on to the corner of wall and ceiling but last night it was on the open wall. I imagine the CBD would be a good location for catching moths etc around street lights. When I lived in Scotland the Pipistrells would regularly hunt that way.


(Click on photos to enlarge)





4 comments:

  1. May be a Gould's Wattled Bat difficult to tell from photos. Forest Bats are usually a brown colour though colder climate forms may be darker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mosura
    They have tiny needle-like claws on the read feet, which they use to hang upside down with.
    Probably clasp with wings as they are landing, and again the "fingernails" are very fine and suitable for clasping rough surfaces.
    I have a dried one, which died in my house, at the back of a wardrobe. Fascinating to be able to see them in such detail.
    Glad it is happy in the CBD.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you're still without your DSLR Alan! Nice looking bat. I'm glad you're getting some id suggestions as I can't help you there! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Neil, Denis, & Jenny - The court is still out regarding it's ID. I have asked a couple of experts but my photos don't show enough detail. Hope to have a new camera later today and I can try for some clearer shots.

    ReplyDelete