Friday, 11 December 2009

Mothing - Late November 2009

I have so many moth photos taken from mid to late November that it would not be practical to post them all. I've included a small selection below. I've also included some unidentified moths which you may be able to help with.



(Click on photos to enlarge)
Helena Gum Moth (Male) - Opodiphthera helena - Saturniidae



Acyphas semiochrea - Lymantriidae



Ptochostola microphaeellus - Crambidae


Arhodia lasiocamparia - Geometridae

This photo shows the difference in size and shape of the female (left) and male (right)





Hypodoxa muscosaria- Geometridae
Chloroclystis testulata - Geometridae


Phaeophlebosia furcifera - Arctiidae
This photo was overexposed but I tried to save it as it is the first time I have recorded this moth.




Unidentified Moths:

Below are a selection of moths I have not yet managed to identify. If you recognise any of them please let me know.



#1-3



#4-6



#7-9



#10-12



Some additional information for the unidentified moths:# 1. (Since identified as Epyaxa rosearia)
# 2. (Since identified as Nisista sp )
# 3.(since identified as (Cerura) melanoglypta  )
# 4. Prob. Philobota sp
# 5.
# 6. (Since identifies as Prometopus inassueta)
# 7. (Since identifies as Prometopus inassueta)
# 8. (Since identified as Agrotis-porphyricollis )
# 9. Pyralidae
#10. Since identified as Spectrotrota fimbrialis )
#11. Proteuxoa sp
#12. (since identifies as Heteroteucha dichroella)






7 comments:

  1. Nice collection, Mosura.

    The Noctuid (8) I identified a very similar moth as Agrotis porphyricollis. Perhaps I'm wrong.

    http://mothsofgreatwestern.ning.com/photo/noctuinae-agrotis-1?context=album&albumId=2652179%3AAlbum%3A12

    No. 2 (from memory) looks like is should be Sterictopsis species, doesn't it?

    As we know, I am nowhere near your league when it comes to identifying moths so - caveat emptor! :-)

    Really interesting - and difficult ones in you list, but I hope you get them sorted because I'd like to know what they are, too.

    JL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow nice collection! The Lymantriidae is quite a spectacular creature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thaks JL - I reckon we can all learn from each other when it comes to moths. One persons common moth is another persons rarity.

    Yes I reckon you're right on Agrotis porphyricollis. They are so variable they confuse me every time.

    There are two Sterictopsis spp in Tassie, one named and one unnamed. I don't have photos of either for comparison.

    Thanks Sebastian - Yes there are some real beauties out there including that one. That's why mothing can become just as addictive as birding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mosura
    Lovely effect of moths on glass (I assume that's what #2, and #3 are posed on).
    I am in aware of anyone able to name their moths.
    I still take photos of them, but so many small, non-descript moths put me off trying to track down their IDs.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mosura, the last thing I bloody need is another passion! My human relationships are becoming increasingly dysfunctional as it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to say "in awe of anyone able to name small moths".
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about Philobota productella for #4, Mosura?

    It seems to have that darkish line along costa.

    JL

    ReplyDelete