Wednesday, 25 November 2009

Tachinid Fly - Close Up

This fly (family: Tachinidae) came to the mercury vapour light last night. I'd estimate it to be around 10mm in length. It appears to be one of the Tachinid flies, also known as Bristly flies. This family are mostly parasitoids and parasites of moth larvae as well as various other insect groups.

When I lined up the second shot I saw a funny sight through the viewfinder. I noticed a much smaller fly (smaller than this ones head) which kept flying into this ones face and annoying it. Good to see them getting a taste of their own medicine. It reminds me of the old saying:

Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite them,
and little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum
(from
the 17th century writer Jonathan Swift)


(Click photos to enlarge)
Frontal view


Lateral view






3 comments:

  1. Yay for the smaller flies! Wonder if they were phorids? They're also parasitoids of a whole range of insects. And snails. Many of my study animals fell victim to those little rotters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mosura.
    Fantastic Macro work.
    Lovely.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Denis - Snail parasites! You'd better watch out.

    I've lost plenty of moth larvae to flies as well although Although disappointing I also find it fascinating.

    Thanks Denis - I should point the camera at flies more often. They have their own beauty.

    ReplyDelete