Thursday, 19 November 2009

The Resplendent Leaf Beetle

Aside from moths, there are many other visitors drawn in by a light trap including flies, wasps, bees, and birds. In the course of a week there will always be something new and unusual that I have not seen before. This morning it was the magnificently coloured leaf beetle, Chrysophtharta nobilitata. It doesn't appear to have a common name so, given it's shining and dazzling appearance, I'll put my vote in for the Resplendent Leaf Beetle :-)

Chrysomelidae (Leaf beetles, or Tortoise beetles) is quite an extensive family with at least 153 named species in Tasmania. Many a very difficult to separate so I don't usually try to name them. I'll make an exception with this one as it is so brightly coloured and distinctively marked that it's hard to imagine it being confused with anything else.

For comparison I've also posted a photo of another leaf beetle which came to the trap last week. Note the much more subdued pattern and colouration.

Please forgive the poor quality photos. These beetles are only around 5mm (if that) in length and I'm usually photographing them while I'm still waking up.

(Click to view larger photos)
Chrysophtharta nobilitata


Chrysophtharta nobilitata



A Chrysomelid beetle (Leaf Beetle)


A Chrysomelid beetle (Leaf Beetle)




4 comments:

  1. Hi Mosura
    Very appropriate name - resplendent indeed.
    You neglected to name the other one. Might I suggest "Dull Leaf Beetle".
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I detect a bit of pretty please beetleism?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Denis - Actually it not a bad looking beetle as long as it doesn't stand next to the other one :-)

    Thanks Tony - Beetles are always trying to get in on the act.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes you just have to give in to the beetles. Those two really are splendid.

    ReplyDelete