Tuesday, 17 November 2009

Mothing - 16th / 17th November

.....Nothing Much to See Here
.....Mothing - Much to See Here


Eight species came to the trap last night not including numerous little micros which were unphotographable, unidentifiable and not all that unforgettable.

(Click to view larger photos)
Noctuidae: Hecatesia fenestrata
These are known as the Whistling moth. This one is a female.


Noctuidae: Hecatesia fenestrata
Lateral view of the Whistling Moth


Geometridae: Hypobapta percomptaria
This individual is lighter than the ones I usually see around here.


Geometridae: Hypobapta percomptaria
The moth obligingly crawled onto my finger and then onto a piece of glass enabling me to get a clear ventral view.


Geometridae: Gastrina cristaria


Noctuidae: Persectania ewingii

Other moths that came to the light last night include Agrotis infusa (The Bogong), Pantydia diemeni, Acyphas semiochrea and Plutella xylostella.




3 comments:

  1. Hecatesia fenestrata is a smart looking moth, Mosura.

    Nice captures.

    I told you my Hypobapta percomptaria would be darker than yours!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's an even darker vision. I'm not paranoid, but ... evil ID thieves of the future will be targeting those showing moths - on their finger(prints). I'm not sure I'm even joking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks JL - Is it going to rain tonight? :-)


    Thanks Tony - Scary thought! If I get framed I'll tell 'em it was the moth.

    ReplyDelete