Friday, 20 November 2009

Milestone Reached - 400 moths

The Lepidoptera of Tasmania website reached a new mile stone today with 400 species now illustrated. While many of the photos are my own I have only scratched the surface of the (at least) 1,480 moths to be found within Tasmania. Thus I would like to give a BIG Thank You to those individuals and organisations who have been so kind as to allow the use of their photographs.

Also, may I mention that if anyone else has images that could be used to fill the gaps then I'd be happy to hear from you. They do not need to be taken in Tasmania as they will serve as place holders until I eventually photograph a local specimen. Any images used will be reduced to around 440 pixels wide (or long) with full credit given as well as a hyperlink back to the person's web site (if they have one)

(In alphabetical order - Apologies if I have missed anyone)

Thank you,
  • Cocks, Graeme
  • Corver, Christine
  • Fraser, Duncan
  • Gilligan, T
  • Guyonnet, Antoine
  • Herbison-Evans, Don
  • Hobern, Donald
  • Martin, E. L
  • Mazzei, Paolo
  • Melville, James
  • Pittaway, A.R.
  • Schmidt, Olga
  • Scott, Lynne
  • Smith, Ian F.
  • Young, Catherine
  • Wirtz, Peter
  • David Jones,

As well as:
  • Central Science Laboratory, Harpenden Archives, British Crown
  • Clemson University - USDA Cooperative Extension Slide Series
  • Colorado State University (Whitney Cranshaw)
  • Entomart
  • Kansas State University, GPDN (Bob Bauernfeind)
  • Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research
  • Oregon Department of Agriculture (Coombs, Eric)
  • University of Georgia (Jones, David)
  • University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Department of Entomology)
  • USDA Agricultural Research Service (Payne, Jerry A)
Melanodes anthracitaria
... And just to brighten up this post, here's a brightly marked example the the Black Geometrid, Melanodes anthracitaria which came to the light trap last night.




4 comments:

  1. Well done. Hope tonight brings 401, 402, 403 . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tony - I hope so. If it stops raining I'll go and have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Mosura!

    Who was 400th?

    Over 2,000 known species in Victoria. I think I have about 1,800 to go! :-) Of course, not all of them may be present in my part of the state, but at least it's something to aim for! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks JL - sorry for the late reply. I went of to find out what was the 400th moth and got sidetracked, forgetting to come back :-)

    400 was Hestiochora tricolor. I've actually written "probably" on the caption but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

    ReplyDelete