Friday, 3 October 2008

Tasmanian Scrubwren

.....Sericornis humilis

Well today was extremely dull and wet (typical for a public holiday). In spite of this we took a drive out to Narawntapu National Park and, surprisingly, we managed to stay relatively dry. The low light however, was terrible for photography. Such a shame too as I saw my first Tasmanian Scrubwren. At one stage this bird was sitting right in the open almost at my feet. I stepped away slowly as there was no way my lens was going to focus at that distance. Unfortunately the bird went back in to the scrub but I still managed a few blurry shots.

Oh... and a milestone has been reached. My 100th post!

Note: Narawntapu National Park was formerly known as Asbestos Range National Park.



(Click on Photos to Enlarge)

Sericornis humilis - Tasmanian Scrubwren


Sericornis humilis - Tasmanian Scrubwren


Sericornis humilis - Tasmanian Scrubwren


11 comments:

  1. The White-browed Scrubwren is a bird I've yet to get a decent picture of Mosura, always been too wary. I reckon you did well with your LBJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Duncan - Yeah I couldn't beleive it when it came right out in front of me and I'd only just swapped the 100mm lens with the 400mm. Bad timing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blurry? You're too hard on yourself. Not so plurry blurry, bro (as we Kiwis say, not!). But I know all about bad timing on lens choices. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tony - I guess I'm comparing them to what might have been if the sun was shining and I had the right lens on - maybe one day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots Mosura. Hard bird to get. Congratulations on reaching 100!
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mosura
    Nice Scrubby - very similar to the White-browed we get on the mainland. As Duncan says, they are hard to photograph. I hear them all the time in the shrubbery near where I park my car, but I hardly ever get a shot.
    Congratulations on the milestone.
    I read last week that once bloggers establish themselves in the pattern, they tend to keep going - especially the men (I am not making this up). So I look forward to your next 100.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had the problem of being too close to a bird to photograph it! Great photos, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could get blurry photos like that Alan! (-: Of course, what you could do with is three camera bodies all with different lenses on, you wouldn't be able to move around much though! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Gouldiae, Denis, Mick, & Jenny - I appreciate all your comments. Yeah I guess there are worse problems than being too close to the bird although a second camera body sounds good :-) Now I better start working on the next 100.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm late to the 100th post party. Hope there's some cake left over.

    Of course you'd just switched over lenses. No doubt that's what the scrubwren was waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Snail - You know you missed the snail party too :-)

    ReplyDelete