Friday, 10 October 2008

Harlequin Bugs

.....Dindymus versicolor

Known as Harlequin Bugs, these True Bugs (Order: Hemiptera) are native to south-eastern Australia including Tasmania. They belong to the Pyrrhocoridae family which are sometimes known as Firebugs, Red Bugs, or Fruit Bugs. Indeed this particular species is considered to be a a minor pest of soft fruits. The two below were photographed in the Bells Parade Park at Latrobe where they were in tandem formation, busily ensuring the survival of the species. The aposematic coloration (warning sign colours) no doubt offers some protection as I for one was in no way tempted to eat them. You'll notice the smaller of the two has a damaged wing.


(Click on Photos to Enlarge)

Dindymus versicolor - Harlequin Bugs


Dindymus versicolor - Harlequin Bugs


8 comments:

  1. Excellent capture. I really like your blog, very nice stuff here. Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And speaking of bugs and soft-food eaters, how's the jaw?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anna - for popping in. Glad you've enjoyed the blog.

    Thanks Tony - It's still bugging me -very tender and sore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not my favourite insect Alan, hard on a lot of plants. Must admit I do away with them, strong detergent does the trick. Colourful for all that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Duncan - I guess they all have a part to play even if we sometimes don't understand what that part is. Don't misinterpret that. If they were on my fruit I'd squish 'em too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I despatch them too - with the same method Duncan uses. Works on a lot of those little gardening annoyances including Earwigs as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bane of my garden. Not so many of them about ATM but in the middle of summer, my backyard is a seething carpet of the little beggars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks JL & Snail - In two years at this house I've not yet seen one in my backyard (or front).

    ReplyDelete