Thursday, 23 October 2008

An Anthelid Moth

.....Anthela repleta

I feel pretty certain this is Anthela repleta. For the sake of accuracy I'll mention that
A. repleta and A. acuta both seem to be quite variable and overlap a little in their appearance. It's a male as can can be seen from the broadly bipectinate (feathery) antennae.

This one was found in the moth trap two nights ago. The adults of the suborder Anthelinae only have vestigal mouthparts and thus cannot feed or drink. They therefore have to rely fully on the fat reserves which were built up during the larval stage. The larvae of both the above mentioned species feed on Acacia spp.



(Click on Photos to Enlarge)
#1 - Anthela repleta - Dorsal view


#2 - Anthela repleta - Frontal view



6 comments:

  1. I am thrilled to bits that I have found you.. I am really interested in moths and butterflies among other things and the fact that you are Tasmanian as well is a bonus..YAY..

    cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read some of the more than 120 Anthelids feed on Pinus Radiata. Should a Kiwi be applauding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moths have been quiet here for a few days Mosura, too flamin' cold I think. Interesting to compare this one with a possible acuta in my gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kim - for popping in. It's always good to know there are others with an interest in moths. There should be plenty more Tassie moths here in the future.

    Thanks Tony - I'll applaud them myself if they eat some of the feral Pinus radiata around here.

    Thanks Duncan - Yes yours looks rather similar to mine. Mine may well be A. acuta which is why I mentioned it above. What I really would like to know is what feature of it's morphology, if any, can be used to differentiate between the two. The following links show multiple images of each species:

    Anthela repleta
    Anthela acuta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found one as well. I raise the Acuta, and came across the Replete for the first time. The Repleta are about half the size of an Acuta, and more red in colour and look more like a smaller, red version of the eye-spot moth which is also an anthelid. The Acuta moths have a more refined body that seem to blend into the wings, very elegant, and have a very, very slight curve on the tips of their wings. I found my Acuta caterpillars and my Repleta moth on the Far South Coast of New South Wales. They make wonderful pets, moreso if you raise them from caterpillars to moths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Unknown - for the comments. I haven't done much mothing lately. Might have to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete