Sunday, 21 September 2008

Some Birds From the Last Week

Here are a few birds from over the last week which do not warrant individual posts.

The Grey Fantails were at Rocky Cape National Park. They seemed to be all along the South Cave track with at least 6 being seen at once. They were often landing far too close to allow the camera to focus. The hardest part of photographing a fantail is anticpating where it will land next as they never seem to sit still for more than a second or so.

The Black-faced Cuckooshrike was at Table Cape. It's not a very good shot at all but it's the first I've seen this year and the first I've ever managed to photograph. Of course I was just about to get a terrific shot but some walkers came along and it flew off. (Nothing against the walkers - just bad timing)

The Little Pied Cormorant, the Tern, and the Heron were at Sulphur Creek which is where I was watching the Albatrosses yesterday.


(Click on Photos to Enlarge)

Grey Fantail - Rhipidura albiscapa


Grey Fantail - Rhipidura albiscapa


Black-faced Cuckooshrike - Coracina novaehollandiae



White-faced Heron - Egretta novaehollandiae



Little Pied Cormorant - Phalacrocorax melanoleucos


Little Pied Cormorant - Phalacrocorax melanoleucos


Crested (Swift) Tern - Sterna bergii


11 comments:

  1. Fantails are tricky little devils. They are often very bold and inquistive and get closer and closer until it's impossible to focus on the little so-and-sos. And that's when they sit still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat shots! Know how you feel about fantails. I've been fruitlessly trailing a Rufous or two for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos - and btw I was just thinking no-one had posted Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike recently and since I've been chasing them around my yard maybe I should post some! No need to now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Snail -I'll say. One of them parked itself just in front of me in full sunshine, fanned out it's tail and just laughed :-) Truly - well maybe not the laughing bit.

    Thanks Tony - That's a long time without fruit :-) It's been a very long time since I've seen a Rufous Fantail. Back in the 80's methinks.

    Thanks Mick - The more the merrier. I'm sure your Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike photos will be better than my one which is very washed out looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you deliberately choose a grey and white theme? Fantastic photos of familiar birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Boobook No I didn't even notice a theme until you mentioned it. It matches the weather so well too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always interesting to see what common sights I have never seen.
    The world sure has such diversity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bloomin' well done with the Fantails! I love the Little Pied Cormorant on the rock too. Lovely pose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mosura

    Lovely shots as usual. Do your shrikes have the same habit as ours of putting their caught prey on the spikes of barbed wire??

    Best wishes, Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Nina - Thanks for popping in.

    Thanks Jenny - I got too close to that cormorant. That's the same one in the flight shot :-)

    Thanks Adrian - These are insectivorous. A lot of our birds have names like shrike, robin, magpie etc because of some superficial resemblance but they are actually from completely different fsmiles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg. that white-faced heron takes my breath away. beeeeYUUUtiful.

    ReplyDelete