Wednesday, 27 August 2008

A New Toy

I've stated previously that I'd like to replace my el cheapo microscope with a fancy new dissecting microscope, preferably with a trinocular head for photography. Well I still don't have one. However I have acquired another new toy. My wife recently popped in at a garage sale and saw an old microscope. Not knowing what I wanted she hesitated for a while as she didn't want to spend money on a piece of junk.

Well she bit the bullet and spent the cash. Here it is:

It's a Leitz Wetslar 'Dialux' with 12.5x wide angle eyepieces and 100x, 40x, 25, 10, and 4x objectives giving a magnification range of 50x to 1250x

Did she pay too much? I don't think so at just $10 :-) Mind you, based on the serial number it was made in about 1973 and I've had to pay a whopping $18 for a new light bulb. Still a bargain!

As far as I can tell everything else seems OK with it so here's hoping all is well when the bulb arrives. Now I need suggestions on what to use it for. A collection of animal hair samples perhaps? Any other suggestions?


(Click to enlarge)





13 comments:

  1. My vote goes to pond microorganisms. They provide hours of entertainment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Snail - Now there's an amusing diversion if ever there was one. Haven't done that for years :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words fail me, ten bucks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Duncan - Not bad eh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't look closely at anything you intend to eat:-))!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tyto Tony - LOL - Sounds like good advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote is with Snail's! :-)

    Nice find, Mosura. I hope you have plenty of fun with the new toy.

    Love your last bird entries, by the way. Thumbs up again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am using a similar one for observing pollen germination and soybean floral anatomy in my experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Chai - Sounds like fun. Are you germinating the pollen on it's own? If so, how do you rehydrate it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks JL - I'm sure I will have fun with it. Glad you like the bird pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mosura
    Sounds like great investment.
    If you can hook up a camera you can show us your discoveries.
    I would use it for examining fungal spores. Take a spore print on waxed paper, and away you go. Do not breathe in the spores, though.
    By the way, I also cannot find any simple explanation for the "caledonicus" name, other than its reference to Scotland - which makes little sense to me, either.
    Cheers
    Denis
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Mosura. By that blessed process known as "serendipity" I went from your posting about the microscope to the next on my list - Christopher's "Catalogue of Organisms". He has an hillarious posting there about Microscopes. You need to read it to get the joke.
    http://catalogue-of-organisms.blogspot.com/2008/08/more-juvenilia.html#links

    While there, why not ask him about the meaning of "caledonicus" as he is a taxonomist.

    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Denis - Spores may be interesting.

    Thanks for the link too - I'll have a Captain Cook.

    ReplyDelete