Saturday, 23 August 2008

New Holland Honeyeater Does Party Trick

.....Phylidonyris novaehollandiae

Well I noticed something about the New Holland Honeyeaters the other day - the white stripes on their head. I mean normally that's what they are - 'stripes' as seen in the first photo. However, in the second photo you'll notice the stripes are actually like tufts which it can raise up when excited. Maybe you have all seen this before but it's certainly a new one for me :-) If your eyes are like mine you'd be best to enlarge at least the second image to see what I mean.

(Click on images to enlarge)

New Holland Honeyeater - Phylidonyris novaehollandiae - Relaxed


New Holland Honeyeater - Phylidonyris novaehollandiae - Excited



9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos, Mosura!
    I have noticed the fancy party accessories the NHH guys and girls have. Same as yourself -- I did my discovery after looking at a photo. I find these tufts very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Mosura. I've not noticed that before. Lovely pics.
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How extraordinary! Was it doing that at you do you think? Looks like it. Spring has sprung and the hormones are rising! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tilcheff - Yes photos are great for noticing the little details.

    Thanks Gouldiae - Glad I'm not the only one who hadn't noticed :-)

    Thanks Jenny - Yes I think so. I was sitting behind a large tree stump. It landed close by (first shot) then looked at me, did the party trick and flew off. The avian equivalent of sticking it's tongue out I think :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic photos Mosura. I'm enjoying your blog.
    Boobook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice observation Mosura, I've looked at hundreds and never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanls Boobook - Glad to hear that.

    Thanks Duncan - That's the beauty of photography being able to catch little things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fascinating piece of bird behaviour!
    Well done for capturing it Mosura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Warren - Fascinating indeed.

    ReplyDelete