Tuesday, 5 August 2008

Mt. Field N.P - Russell Falls

Another destination we managed to cram in during last weeks time away was the Mt. Field National Park. From the main Office, it's just a short level walk through Myrtles, Tree Ferns and towering Swamp Gums to one of Tasmania's best known natural attractions, Russell Falls.

Russell Falls


Russell Falls


Along the track I found several types of fungi.

Coprinus disseminatus


Stereum ostrea

... and what is this one?

Unknown Fungi?


At the picnic ground a Wedge-tailed Eagle flew overhead at about 6 or 7 metres of the ground. It was being mobbed by 2 Ravens. The eagle did a complete roll over thrusting it’s talons out at the Ravens. Of course the whole thing happened so suddenly and was over so quickly that I just stood there, camera in hand and mouth hanging open.

We also seen Sulphur-crested Cockatoos and Scarlet Robins as well as all the usual 'picnic ground' type birds such as Black Currawong, Tasmanian Native Hens, and Superb Fairywrens.

Superb Fairywren - Malurus cyaneus


Tasmanian Nativehen - Gallinula mortierii



Several Pademelons were seen including this one which was hanging around the picnic shelters.

Tasmanian Pademelon - Thylogale billardierii


8 comments:

  1. Hi Mosura
    Nice day out for you. Falls look lovely - lots of ferns, of course.
    The strange fungi hanging under the overhang, or whatever, look to me like "mould" developing upon some other structure - maybe tree roots? Not sure why they look like pendant balls, but I suspect it is some form of micro-fungus. It looks to me not unlike mould that one sees growing on animal dung, but I cannot explain what they are growing on, hanging down like that.
    Just an idea.
    Great encounter with the Eagle - doing a barrell-roll right in front of you. Some things one is never ever going to be able to photograph, but you described it well, for us. Thanks.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. The falls are just beautiful, makes me wish I was there right now....not half the world away! The Fairywren photo is great, I love the way the leaves pick up the colour around her eye. Some photos are just pleasing to the eye straight off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice waterfall shots Mosura. That Gallinule looks like our moorhen, you've no doubt seen them when you were in scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Mosura,

    I am simply amazed that you are so capable of capturing images (and excellent images, at that) of birds wherever you go. My husband has taken up bird observation and photography as a hobby, and he is seriously envious of your abilities. And he is encouraged by your results, also.

    An excellent post.

    Cheers
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely set of photos Mosura, I think the wren is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dennis - I thought he same thing about roots and it also reminds me of the typical fungus you get on scats. Sometimes after looking at a photo you wish you could go back and and investigate further. Trouble is it's too far away.

    Thanks Jenny - They really are spectacular falls and bigger than what they might seem from the photo. When I got to the falls I realised I had left my tripod in the car so I had to level the camera with bits of stick and use the self timer. It seems to have worked OK.

    Thanks Warren - Yes it similar but much bigger and it is flightless. We also have a Dusky Moorhen (G. mortierii) which is even more like the British Moorhen.

    Thanks Gaye - You should see all my rejects :-) The photos I've seen from your husband are great. I may be wrong but I think you mentioned he used the Sigma (BigMa) 50 -500 zoom. I used to have that lens. I've seen people take fantastic shots with it but personally I found it a bit cumbersome and the results a little soft. The new lens I'm using is much lighter and on a sunny day you can even use it hand held. All I need now is lots more practice (Oh... and some birds)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Duncan - You snuck in there while I was replying to the other comments :-) I seen 14 Fairywrens together there. Don't know how common that is but it's probably the biggest flock I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've done it again, Mosura. These are great!

    My Blue Wrens are coming in after an absence. Nesting time is coming up! I've seen a few females and think I might have glimpsed a male yesterday. Last year, they nested in my Almond. It had quite a prune this year so there may not be enough cover for them this time.

    ReplyDelete