Friday, 15 August 2008

Backyard Birding - 6

One bird I've been targeting for the last few weeks is the Brown Thornbill. At only 100mm head to tail and constantly on the move they have proven rather difficult to photograph. They also spend a lot of time right in among the foliage, in the canopy, foraging for insects. To date my attempts could only be described as little brown splodges. The kind of thing that makes you reach for a screen wipe. On that basis, I'm quite chuffed with the following shots I took this evening.


Click for larger version
Brown Thornbill - Acanthiza pusilla


Brown Thornbill - Acanthiza pusilla


Brown Thornbill - Acanthiza pusilla




8 comments:

  1. Hello Mosura

    Lovely shots these. It reminds me a bit of our smallest bird, the Goldcrest. Same sort of shape but it has an orange/yellow crest on top of its head, which it can open up to display.

    Best wishes, Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have trouble seeing ALL LLB's (little brown birds!) let alone photographing them! Your photos have amazing detail. Well worth all the ones you say you threw away I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alan
    So you should be chuffed! That first shot is a cracker (wanted to say stonker, but have used that already on one of your previous photos!) (-:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots of the Brown Thronbill, Mosura. I haven't seen one but I think they are supposed to be here.

    Your bird photography is stunning. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the words of Mr Grace, (Are you being served) youve done very well!
    Infuriating little blokes to draw a bead on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Adriab - Only a smidgen bigger than a Goldcrest too. The first week I moved to Scotland I seen a pair Goldcrests right at the kitchen window and thought it must be a common bird in that area. I didn't see another one for several years let alone at the window.

    Thanks Mick - Yep - I know what you mean, My bird list would be much longer if I new what all the lbb's were over the years.

    Thanks Jenny - Cracker, stonker, - hey I'll take 'em all :-)

    Thanks JL - Thre supposed to be pretty widespread but I've only ever noticed them here in Tassie.

    Thanks Duncan - LOL, I worked for grace Brothers at one time. THey laughed there head of in Britain when they seen it on my resume'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, nice shots. I have so many "little brown/grey/black splodge" shots. These have come out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mark - Glad you like them - I have loads of those splodge shots too.

    ReplyDelete