Wednesday, 6 August 2008

Backyard Birding - 4

There were not too many birds in the in the backyard today or at least not while I was looking. There were several Superb Fairywrens, one of which is is in the process of changing into it's blue breeding plumage (See photo). As always, the New Holland Honeyeaters were present. A few Brown Thornbills were flitting about among the foliage of a young Stringybark but all refused to sit still and smile for the camera. At the last moment a White-bellied Sea Eagle flew over. I just managed to snap a shot before it disappeared behind the trees. They are a fairly common sight from the backyard and occasionally they fly over carrying their catch of the day and I hope one day to capture that on film. (Well on CCD actually but that doesn't have the same ring to it)

Oh .....and I got two armchair ticks today as Birdstack (See sidebar) updated to the IOC's World Bird Names version 1.6. with Pale-headed Rosella being split from Eastern Rosella and Barn Owl being split to Eastern & Western Barn Owl. (e.g British & Australian).

White-bellied Sea Eagle - Haliaeetus leucogaster


Superb Fairywren - Malurus cyaneus




5 comments:

  1. Hi "Mosura"

    Lovely shots....ditto the previous post. Russell Falls looks very nice indeed.

    Best wishes, Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos - again! The feather detail is particularly nice on the fairy-wren. I wish I had all those birds in my backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great photo of the Sea Eagle, specially as it was an opportunistic shot. Those Fairy wrens are just soooo photogenic. I could never get tired of seeing those or photographing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the awesome blog!

    I've been reading it for a couple of days now. Very nice photos and great informative posts.
    Keep up the good work!

    Regards
    Nickolay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Adrian - Glad you like them. It's pretty hard to take a bad shot of Russell Falls as they are truly spectacular.

    Thanks Mick - I'll swap you for your Beach Stone-curlews :-)

    Thanks Jenny - The fairy wrens are pretty much ever present. They nested up the backyard last year and I'm hoping they will do so again soon.

    Thanks Tilcheff - for the compliment. I've been keeping an eye on your blog too. You have some great pics!

    ReplyDelete