Sunday, 13 July 2008

Mycological Perambulations

..... or traipsing around looking for fungi


This afternoon we took the opportunity to go searching for fungi. Our expedition headed of to Fern Glade along the Emu River. The slopes of this river valley are host to wet Eucalyptus forest with White gum (E. viminalis) and Stringybark (E. obliqua). There are also pockets containing many rainforest species. The path along the river in the main recreation area has an abundance of large tree ferns.

Aside from walking and BBQ's, many people come here hoping to spot a platypus or to check out the bird life. However, Fern Glade is also a great place for fungi. My knowledge of fungi is sorely lacking so for now, I have not attempted to identify the species shown below. I post them here simply to share their beauty. For the record, my own favourite here is #10.

Don't forget you can click on the images to see the larger version


#1 # 2



#3 #4 # 5



#6 #7 # 8




#9 # 10


#11 # 12




#13 # 14

Edit: Despite what I said above, I couldn't resist trying at a few ID's. Here's what I've come up with so far.

1: Clitocybe clitocyboides
2:
3: Stereum ostrea
4: Stereum ostrea
5:
6: Leotia lubrica
7: Leotia lubrica
8: Clavaria amoena
9:
10: Pseudohydnum gelatinosum
11: Ramaria sp
12: Ramaria sp
13:
14: Geastrum sp




9 comments:

  1. These are great, mosura!

    Lucky you finding "Corals"!

    Check Geastrum triplex for your Earth Star.

    I'll have a better look through "Fuhrer" for the others when I have more time.

    Love them. (Thumbs up..)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mosura - go here:-

    http://fungimap.rbg.vic.gov.au/fsp/fsp.html.

    I think Leotia lubrica is one of their target species.

    Fungimap are targetting 100 + species Australia-wide. you might find you have others here.

    If the link doesn't work - go to Flowers, Fungi ect. I've got a link there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing shapes - and great photos. I am aware of just how much I have never noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've already identified the ones my little knowledge knows. I have more fungi coming up on my other blog "Photographyanonymous" soon and will let you know when they're posted. Is it just the colder seasons when there's an abundance of fungi or is it just that we notice them more then? These are very good photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Junior Lepid - I'll check out that Geastrum triplex. I have used the Fungi Map site before. I probably should look at submitting records.

    Thanks Mick - Yeah it's the variety that amazes me.

    Thanks Anonymous - Yes - fungi are more numerous in Autumn and winter. I'm looking forward to seeing your fungi shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mosura
    You and I share a number of fungi in common - cold wet forests, obviously something of a common link.

    Can you pls have a look at my post tonight about soft bodied creature. Way too many legs to be anything i am familiar with. Any advice welcomed.

    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mosura
    One suggestion for Fungi #9.
    Check out Favolaschia spp. Fuhrer - Field Guide to Australian Fungi has two photos, The side-on image looks like yours. Underneath photo is very distinctive. P68, 69.
    It is an unusual structure, a stalked fungus which then seems to hang with the cap supported from above.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Denis - I don't have that book. I have his "Field companion" which has Favolaschia sp. on page 42. I don't know if they are the same photos but the fungi is certainly similar in design. I might have to get the other book from the library or better still I might order it online.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you've been able to identify some more! I have a tiny orange fungi on my photography blog today but larger mushrooms will be posted earlier next week ;)

    ReplyDelete